OPAP S.A., in order to realize all its commitments, has established environmental programs including:
- Adoption of "Green Supplies" criteria whenever this is feasible, as, for example in what concerns consumable material and office equipment (environment friendly material etc).
- Cooperation with alternative management bodies for the management of waste from the company's facilities. OPAP S.A. collaborates with the Recycling of Portable Batteries "AFIS" and has placed batteries collection bins in its facilities in Athens and Thessaloniki. It also cooperates with the body of Recycling of Electrical and Electronic Equipment for the recycling of waste such as: fluorescent lamps, computer equipment waste etc
- Recycling of the 100% of paper waste from the printing house, as well as of large quantities of useless paper from the offices of the company, which is collected in the special bins placed at the central offices. Recycling is implemented also at the company's facilities in Thessaloniki in cooperation with the recycling program of the Municipality of Thessaloniki.
- Implementation of an energy savings program aiming to the reduction of power consumption in all the buildings of the company.
- Use of water, soluble, non- toxic, and odourless inks for the production of the slips for all the games.
- Continuous training and sensitization of the employees in Environmental Management issues.
OPAP S.A. updates and differentiates the Environmental Programs on an annual basis in order to set new higher targets and follow the progress made on environmental issues (e.g., new legislation, national or community environmental management programs).
Environmental Performance Indices
OPAP S.A., within the framework of continuous assessment of the environmental management system according to ISO 14000, has established environmental indices in order to be able to evaluate its environmental performance and proceed to eventual corrective actions, where necessary. More analytically, the company monitors the following indices:
The company recycles all quantities of useless paper generated in its facilities. The total quantities of paper forwarded for recycling were:
- 2005: 100.309 kg
- 2006: 111.055 kg
- 2007: 68.725 kg
Explanation: the specific index is negative here, because a more reasonable use of paper was gradually achieved in the company and, thus, less waste for recycling was generated, following the systematic information provided to the personnel regarding the importance of paper recycling.
Consumption of chemicals
The total quantities of chemicals use for to satisfy the needs for the production were:
- 2005: 268,8 kg
- 2006: 259 kg
- 2007: 260 kg
Stability in the use of chemicals is noted.
Electrical power consumption
The electrical power consumption of the total of OPAP S.A. facilities was:
- 2005: 3.931.834 KwH
- 2006: 4.683.800 KwH
- 2007: 6.620.650 KwH
A 41,3% increase in the consumption of electrical power is noted.
Explanation: the recorded electrical power consumption is due to the increase of the Company's business needs in 2007, as well as to the extended decrease in petrol consumption. The company's goals for 2008 include the re-examination of the environmental management of its buildings, in order to achieve reduction of the increased indeces of energy consumption.
The water consumption of the total of OPAP S.A. facilities was:
- 2005: 8.147m3
- 2006: 8.515 m3
- 2007: 15.037 m3
A 76.59% increase in the consumption of water is noted.
Explanation: The increase in the water consumption is due to the erroneous recorded measurement of the m3 meter during the previous years. For the following indications, we will consider as indicative measurement the one of 2007 and thereafter.
Consumption of heating gas oil
The consumption of heating gas oil for the company's facilities was:
- 2005: 53.416 lt
- 2006: 56.416 lt
- 2007: 18.800 lt
A 66,6% decrease in the consumption of heating gas oil is noted.
Alternative Management of Lamps
The company has established a mechanism for the collection of useless lamps that are being replaced by new ones in its facilities and their forwarding to the Company for the Alternative Management of Electrical and Electronic Equipment.
In total, OPAP S.A. forwarded to the above mentioned company 253,8 kg as opposed to 150kg forwarded in 2006.
- 2006: 150 kg
- 2007: 253,8 kg
A 69% increase is noted.
Alternative Management of Electrical and Electronic Equipment
Within the framework of the alternative management of Recycling of Electrical and Electronic Equipment (A.H.H.E), the company forwarded to the body "EQUIPMENT RECYCLING S.A." useless computers and electronic devices.
Recycling of batteries (<1 kg)
A pilot battery recycling program commenced in 2006 by OPAP S.A. in collaboration with the body of Recycling of Portable Batteries "AFIS" in Athens and Thessaloniki.
The company in cooperation with AFIS placed battery collection bins in its establishments in Athens and Thessaloniki and has recycled in total 45 kg in 2007 as compared to the 20 kg recycled in 2006.
The battery recycling program, through the placement of AFIS collection bins, expanded over OPAP's S.A. agencies. The quantities forwarded by the agencies to AFIS amounted to 165, 5 kg.
- 2006: 20 kg
- 2007: 210,5 kg
A 950% increase in the collection of batteries is noted.
Within the framework of alternative management of liquid waste discharged by the printing unit, OPAP S.A. has signed an agreement with the waste management company "POLYECO S.Α.", whereas for 2007 it collected and forwarded for recycling 21.860 kg of liquid waste.
Moreover, it forwarded to the same company 100 kg of waste generated from the cleaning of the printing unit (rags & tow).